Thursday, July 1, 2010

Melody Arrives

Announcing the arrival of Tiny Town Blue Suede Shoes (Melody) at Sweet Garden Farm.    I simply didn't have enough milk with Tigger and Una.  Tigger is doing a great job, but Una just doesn't have any capacity at all.  I believe that repeated bouts of udder edema at her freshenings have destroyed her udder.  She was only giving a tiny bit of milk so I have dried her off.

Tigger is now joined by milker Melody.  Between the two of them I am now getting about 3/4 of a gallon of milk each day.  That should work for my cheesemaking plans, at least for now.

Melody is very submissive and nonconfrontational and I'm afraid that Tigger and Una have really been taking advantage of her desire not to get into any arguments.  They have been pushing her around pretty roughly and she just runs away.  She will have been here one week tomorrow and I think she is finally starting to settle in.   Tig and Una were a little nicer to her yesterday and today.  I don't think she's been eating as much as she needs to because of the stress of the move, so I've been taking her into the milk room several times a day so that she can eat without having to fight off Tig and Una.  This is just a temporary help for her, I think that soon she will be chowing down just like everyone else.  So, here's the whole team:

I tried to get a shot with everyone looking at me, but with five it's difficult.  Eventually I'll get a nice herd picture of them all.  I also need a head shot of Melody for the side bar.

We added one more cable spool to the barnyard, so now there are four.  Petals and Blossom will share one with no problem so I think we are set!

No comments:

Post a Comment