Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Farewell to Una

Well, I know I said I planned to keep Una here as a pet, but I have changed my mind for two reasons.  First, I want more milkers and every goat I keep that is not contributing to my milk supply is taking up the space of a doe that could.  

Second, Una has been causing serious problems within the herd.  She has been unreasonably harsh with Melody and the two kids.  I had hoped that this would abate as Melody was here longer, but it has not, and I really do need Melody to blend in and be happy here.

So I have returned Una to the breeder I bought her from.  She will find a pet home for her. 

I'm sad about this and will miss Una.  When it was just Tigger and her she was very sweet, but once she got the chance to be dominate over someone she simply became mean.  Tigger, our herd queen, has not been nearly as harsh to the kids and Melody as Una has.

I guess this is one of those times when a goatkeeper has to decide whether the goats are pets or farm animals.   I really have been thinking of them all as pets, but I probably should change my thinking a little if I want to be able to cull as necessary to have a quality herd.  Sometimes these life lessons are difficult, but still they are an important part of the journey.

Here's Una about a week after she arrived here with Tigger in September 2008.  Behind her you can see the framing for the barn which was not yet complete.   Bye Una.  I sure hope your new owner cares for you well and that you are happy in your new place with your new herd.   Goodbyes are hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment