Monday, January 11, 2010

Updates: Mice, Pregnancy, Goat Nutrition and some Recipes

Mouse Update: 54 mice killed in the barn since it was finished in the Fall of 2008.

Pregnancy Update: Tigger is looking very, very pregnant and she's not into her fourth month! She always has triplets, but maybe this year quads?!?! Una looks a little bit pregnant, not really much bigger than her normal tummy. She is about 10 days or so behind Tigger and is not likely to have more than twins. I'll be happy with one as long as it's a doeling and as long as Una comes through healthy and well. She had a difficult kidding in 2009.

Goat Nutrition Update: I've been working hard on my feeding program for 2010. I started with my two does in the Fall of 2008 and basically duplicated what the breeder had been doing. I did want to feed as organic and natural as I could, so I've made some changes. Last year's milk production, especially from Una, was less than I expected. I think some of that was my fault, due to ignorance. There are so many things that work together to unable each doe to live up to her full milking potential. This year I want to be very careful of my calcium to phosphorus ratio, using alfalfa and whole oats in proper proportions. I'll be providing kelp mixed with copper and selenium rich herbs, baking soda, and celtic sea salt (rich in minerals) free choice.

I'm right now trying to decide if an additional standard goat mineral supplement is necessary. I have received different opinions from experts, so I'm just not sure yet. I don't like the idea of giving my goats artificially produced vitamins and minerals, but I certainly will if it proves necessary.

Low Carb Ground Beef Vegetable Soup
1-2 organic garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 organic onion, chopped
3-4 cups chopped low starch organic vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and/or carrots)
1 can diced organic tomatoes (or 28-32 oz. fresh tomatoes)
about 3 cups water
about 3 t. Better Than Boullion
1 pound organic grass-fed ground beef
2 T organic butter, if desired
salt and pepper to taste

Brown ground beef, garlic, and onion in soup kettle. Pour off grease if necessary. Add all other ingredients and allow to simmer for an hour or two. Taste to adjust salt and pepper. I like to serve this with a big block of cheddar cheese. YUM!

I made this recipe this afternoon. I used zucchini and tomatoes from the freezer, and carrots and cabbage from the root cellar.

For lunch today we had this:

Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
Olive oil
1 lb. chicken breast, cut in strips
Fajita seasoning*, to taste
1 onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1-2 cups shredded cheese, Monterey Jack or whatever you have on hand

Brown the chicken breast in the olive oil in a large skillet. When the chicken is no longer pink, add the onion and peppers on top. Sprinkle on the fajita seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender crisp. Taste for seasonings. Turn off the heat, sprinkle cheese all over the mixture and cover for a minute or two until the cheese melts. Serve with salsa.

I used a red and green bell pepper from my freezer, and homemade mozzarella cheese. I served it with carrot salad made with carrots from the root cellar and mayonnaise made from our chicken eggs.

*Fajita Seasoning
4 T chili powder
2 T cumin
2 t. oregano
2 t. garlic powder or garlic salt

Mix all of the above together and use in place of Fajita seasoning in any recipe. You'll need to add salt and pepper to taste. I keep this mixed up and ready to use in my spice rack.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Anita! I'll be interested in what you decide about the mineral supplements for your goaties. I've changed the way I feed mine too, based on our conversation in January, and she's thriving (and looking very pregnant as well). Keep up the good experimentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerilee! Thanks for stopping by! After much consideration I am going to go with just the kelp, baking soda, and Celtic Sea Salt for now and watch the girls very carefully. Right now they are getting (for both does) 3 pounds of Chaffhaye and 1 cup of whole oats. That's a four to one ratio for calcium to phosphorus and should be fine for their third month. I'll probably up the grain very slightly (an additional 1/2 cup between them) when they start their fourth month. That will put them at a three to one calcium to phosphorus ratio. Feeding this way is very new to me, but I think it is the information I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are they due again? Emily's still on nothing but hay at the moment. If you'll recall, you recommended I take her off the grain until she's a month out from her due date, and since I followed your advice she looks much, much better. Pregnant but not so swollen (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigger is due March 22 and Una is due April 3. Yes, just grass hay until last month is the protocol I used last year. I've read a lot though recently about calcium to phosphorus ratios and so have changed what I'm doing. They are still getting only a very small amount of grain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, then, I shall read the articles you sent me pronto. I appreciate your being a pioneer in this respect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Fajita recipe sounds delicious. I've never tried making my own seasoning before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey J-P nice of you to stop by. Hubby has a problem with purchased fajita mixes. I'm not sure what's in them, but something disagrees with him, so I found this recipe online and have been using it for several years. I use the same recipe to make the meat for taco salads. YUM!

    ReplyDelete