Monday, June 1, 2009

First Post

I decided to start a blog to document the comings and goings here at Sweet Garden Farm. We just decided on the name a few weeks ago. Right now we have a large vegetable garden, two Nigerian Dwarf milking does and ten chickens. I gather between six and ten eggs each day, usually seven or eight. We eat a lot of eggs! And right now my two goats are providing about a half a gallon of milk each day. That is low, actually. I'm working with their feed trying to figure out how to increase production. I purchased the goats and chickens last fall, so I'm new to this. So far it's going pretty well...

We have a rabbit trying to set up house in the vegetable garden. She's dug three holes so far, in the leaf lettuce, under the beets, and under the Romaine. We put some fencing over the gate so that she can't get in. Hopefully this will discourage her from nesting in the produce...

This morning I made Crustless Goat Cheese Quiche. Turned out great. It's made with my farm fresh eggs, homemade soft goat cheese, goat milk, minced garlic, chives, salt, pepper, and butter for the pan.

I was pleased today at lunch. We had a delicious salad made with lettuce, spring onions, and strawberries, all from the garden, with crumbled goat cheese on top. We also had the first snap peas of the year, sauteed in butter, olive oil, and garlic. Yum.

I spent some time today cleaning up the yard, weeding and trimming trees. I also tied up the peas again, they are about five feet tall so far.

I plan to chronicle what I'm planting, cooking, etc. Hopefully someone will find my musings interesting!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Anita,
    Patty here, I gave the boys a bath a couple of days ago and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I will not do that again unless I use warm water. They forgave me after a couple of animal crackers.

    Regarding the rabbit, get some ferret poop to put around the perimeter of the garden and that should take care of it.

    I love that you have a blog and look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Anita; Blogging is a lot of fun. Blue Bell did great in showmanship. She was so well behaved - an angel! Walked great and stood still when asked :) The trim job did not do her justice...next time I will make sure the cliippers are working and trim her black coat a week before the show :)

    Cheers to blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for coming by Patty and Polly. (Patty bought Tigger's two boys and Polly bought Tigger's doeling for her daughter. The doeling, "Blue Bell" is learning to be a show goat.) It sounds like all the "kids" are very well groomed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita this is great! I can't wait to see what I learn from your garden expertise! --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, you're not anonymous! I know who you are!

    ReplyDelete