Monday, June 22, 2009

Barnyard View



Tigger and Una spend most of their time on their spools. They love being up in the air. Eddie collected these spools for me from different construction sites he has visited. I actually have one more, but we're keeping that one in reserve for when these rot. They aren't made of pressure treated wood, so they won't last long.

My dad built the ladder last year when I first got the goats, and that worked fine for awhile. But when they each got a few months pregnant in the winter they had a hard time getting up on the spools, so I asked him to build the steps. They learned very quickly that even with their very big tummies they could get up on the spools easily with the steps.

The girls are extremely friendly. They usually run to the gate to greet me when I go out to check on them. When visitors stop by they are always amazed at how tame my goats are.

I milk twice a day. This time of year it's usually around 6:15am and 6:15pm each day. I don't like milking in the dark, so when the days get shorter I'll milk later in the morning and earlier in the evening.

The goats get all the hay they can eat, loose vitamins and minerals, baking soda, and water. They get a measured portion of grain when they are milked.

They are happy, playful, and affectionate animals who give the most delicious milk I've ever tasted.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is really neat. I remember back in the 80's I used to read this magazine called Mother Earth New. Maybe it is still around, I don't know. But this reads alot like some of the articles in that magazine. People living off the land, getting back to nature, making their own way. Anita's Sweet Garden Magazine, that sounds great. I like it. I'll take some photos. Great job, sis. Keep up the great work.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Steve, and the nice compliments. I'm not sure if I'm ready for publication, but so far this is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita,

    Your Delaware Chicken looks like she's wearing a diamond necklace...is she? LOL

    I enjoyed visiting with you today - keep blogging.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy. Thanks for stopping by. The Delaware chickens have a ring of spots right about there on their feathers. In the picture it does kind of look like a necklace!

    ReplyDelete