Thursday, July 23, 2009

PJ Comes to Visit


Miss Broody Update: Finally I put Miss Broody in her own cage in the barn. She had to stay there all day long. I did give her food and water, and after three days I set her free. She's cured! So, all ten hens are back in business.

Other news: I have a new goat. Well, she's not really mine, she's a loaner goat from my friend and goat mentor. I haven't had as much milk as I wanted, so my friend is loaning me a doe. I'll return her in the fall. (See PJ's picture in the sidebar area.)

I picked her up yesterday. There's been a lot of head butting between Tigger and PJ. (See picture above.) They are trying to establish a herd queen. So far Tigger is definitely on top, but it remains to be seen what will happen once PJ settles in. She's found the food, water, and minerals, and she was very well behaved on the milkstand this morning and last night, so, so far, so good.

I need more milk so I can make gogurt, mozzarella, ricotta, and soft cheese enough to last me through the winter when the does are dry, i.e. when I have no milk. Right now I have very little in the freezer. I just can't imagine going back to store bought after having these delicious goat milk products, made right here. Yes, I'm spoiled.

Today's Menu

Breakfast: Pork Sausage, Egg, Onion, and Cheese Scramble; Gogurt with Raspberries
Main Meal: Mixed Green Salad with Garden Lettuce, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Chopped Walnuts, Shredded Colby Cheese and Sweet Oil and Vinegar Dressing (salad dressing recipe in the June 8, 2009 post); Cheesy Kohlbari and Smoked Ham Casserole
Evening Snack: Cheeses, grapes, salami, dark chocolate and wine

No comments:

Post a Comment